Nature-based Solutions to accelerate Sendai and beyond
This side event follows the session on Nature-based Solutions on the morning of the 26th of May. It will look cross-thematically at the Global Platform’s themes and address how Nature-based solutions can contribute to the implementation of the Sendai Framework 2015-2030 and what is still needed at country level. It will also look at what is needed beyond the current framework.
This in-person side event will discuss:
- The importance of Nature-based Solutions during response and recovery after a disaster.
- The financing modalities available for Nature-based Solutions.
- The importance of monitoring and reporting on ecosystem (critical green infrastructure) loss in the Sendai Framework Monitor and how this might be done under targets C and D.
- Promote the importance of Nature-based Solutions in humanitarian contexts
- Discuss financing for Nature-based Solutions and the role of Multilateral Development Banks
- Identify how to report on Green Infrastructure under targets C and D of the Sendai Framework
- Ms. Nathalie Doswald - Senior Policy Advisor, Ecosystem-based Disaster Risk Reduction, UNEP
- Ms. Zita Sebesvari - Deputy Director, United Nations University – Institute for Environment and Human Security
- Ms. Aleeza Wilkins - Representative of U.S. Focal Point for Sendai Reporting, Science for Disaster Reduction Interagency Working Group (U.S. National DRR Platform)
- Mr. Niels Holm Nielsen - Program Manager, Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR)
- Mr. Raymond Duijsens - Community Resilience Advisor, Netherlands Red Cross
This will be an interactive event. We look forward to your participation.
Where do we stand?
When a disaster happens, the response is usually short-term and aims to return to normal. However, this is a critical opportunity to Build Back Better and Greener. Nature-based Solutions are critical to enhance resilience, yet these are not mentioned in Priority for action 4 of the Sendai Framework.
Session guiding questions
- What is the role and need for NbS in post-disaster response and recovery?
- What financing opportunities exist for NbS implementation?
- How important is it to monitor loss of critical green infrastructure in SFM? How can it be done?