WRC5: Opening Ceremony
Watch this session on-demand
The World Reconstruction Conference (WRC) is a global forum that provides a platform for policy makers, experts, and practitioners from government, international organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), the academia, and private sector from both developing and developed countries to come together to collect, assess, and share experiences in disaster recovery and reconstruction and take forward the policy dialogue. Traditionally, the WRC is organized by three partners (EU, UNDP, World Bank) in conjunction with the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction; this year, the International Recovery Platform is joining as a partner.
Hosted by the Government of Indonesia, WRC5 will take place on 24 and 25th May 2022 under the theme “Reconstructing for a sustainable future: Building resilience through recovery in a COVID-19 Transformed World”. The WRC5 will focus on addressing the unprecedented socio-economic recovery needs as a pathway to rebuilding a resilient and sustainable society in the post Covid-19 world. The conference will be organized under three sub-themes: 1) addressing the social and economic effects and impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on “hard-won” development gains, 2) social, infrastructural and economic recovery from disasters as an opportunity to reset the development pathway towards a greener and resilient future, and 3) rethinking recovery governance models: planning, financing and managing recovery from complex and interconnected disaster-conflict events in the post Covid-19 world.
- Welcome participants and speakers to the fifth WRC;
- Highlight the theme and sub-themes of the conference;
- Recognize the role of the host and partners; and
- Outline the expectations and structure of the two-day conference.
Participants have a clear understanding of the purpose, structure, design, and expected outcomes of WRC 5.
- Mr. Ronald Jackson, Head, Disaster Risk Reduction, Recovery for Building Resilience Team, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and International Recovery Platform Steering Committee Chair
- Welcoming Remarks: Ms. Asako Okai, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General, and Director, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Crisis Bureau.
- Opening Remarks: Mr. Muhadjir Effendy, Coordinating Minister of the Ministry for Human Development and Culture, Government of the Republic of Indonesia
- Remarks: Ms. Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction, and Head, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Keynote Address: Mr. Pramod Kumar Mishra, Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, Government of the Republic of India
- Closing Remarks: Mr. Sameh Wahba, Global Director, Urban, Disaster Risk Management, Resilience and Land Global Practice, World Bank
Session guiding questions
- How are the theme and sub-themes relevant to current realities and reconstruction challenges?
- What are the expectations and structure of WRC5?
- Who contributed to designing and hosting the conference?
- How will the outcomes contribute to the GPDRR and beyond?
BICC Ground Floor